How do I set up a Gradebook with categories and weighting?
In this scenario, we will pretend that you have homework, projects, a midterm, and a final to grade. You would like the weighting to be as follows:
- 3 Homework assignments - 24% of the total grade
- 2 Projects - 26%
- 1 Midterm - 20%
- 1 Final - 30%
The percentages of all the weighting must add up to 100%.
It is easiest to set up your Gradebook first, and then create or add items to the Gradebook. But don’t worry, if you have already set up your Gradebook items (homework assignments, projects, etc), you can come back and do this setup later and then assign the Gradebook items to the appropriate categories. It is also easy to add categories and even change the weighting of grades at any time.
In the target Sakai site, select Gradebook from the Tool Menu.
Select Settings from the actions menu.
Select Categories & Weighting.
Select Categories & Weighting to expand the section.
Select the Categories & weighting radio button.
Additional options will display once you select Categories and weighting.
Enter categories and percentage weighting.
- Select the Add a category button to add more categories.
- Enter the category titles in the Category column.
- Enter the percentage weights for each category in the % column. For this example, enter each category as follows: Homework 24%, Projects 26% , Midterm 20%, and Final 30%.
Select Save Changes.
Select Add Gradebook Item to create items and associate them with the appropriate categories.
Edit item details and select Create.
- For this example, add seven Gradebook items: Homework 1, Homework 2, Homework 3, Project 1, Project 2, Midterm, Final. The title for the first item is shown in the image above.
- Enter the Point Value for the item (also required). For this example, we will assign 100 points to every Gradebook item.
- Select the appropriate category for this item from the Category drop-down menu. For this example, all three Homework items should be assigned to the Homework category.
- Check the box for Release item to students if you would like students to be able to view their grades for this item. Leaving the box unchecked hides the item from students.
- Check the box for Include item in course grade calculations if you would like the item to be added into the course grade. Leaving the box unchecked omits it from the course grade calculation.
- Once you have entered all of the information for this item, select the Create button to save your changes. Selecting the + button next to Create will create the current item and take you directly to the Add Gradebook Item dialog for another new item.
Note: You may also assign items from other tools, such as Assignments or Tests & Quizzes, to specific categories when you create them.
Example student grade summary
Let’s say Student Kinne has earned the following points:
- Homework 1 - 89 out of 100
- Homework 2 - 94 out of 100
- Homework 3 - 78 out of 100
- Project 1 - 83 out of 100
- Project 2 - 88 out of 100
- Midterm - 90 out of a 100
- Final - 95 out of a 100
The Gradebook will automatically calculate the weighting for you. In this case the final score is 89.61%
How does it come up with 89.61%?
- The average of the homework is (89+94+78)/300 points possible. Total = 87%
- The average of projects is (83+88)/200 points possible. Total = 85.5%
- Midterm and Final only have one grade in those categories, therefore the category average is equal to the score/points possible (90/100 and 95/100 respectively).
Now apply the weighting:
- (.87 homework * .24 weighting) = .2088
- (.8550 projects * .26 weighting) = .2223
- (.9 midterm * .20 weighting) = .18
- (.95 final * .30 weighting) = .2850
- Add them up = .8961 = 89.61%