Gradebook allows instructors to calculate and store grade information for items that are completed either online or offline. Manually added items may be entered and edited directly within the Gradebook interface.
Note: Grades that are being sent to the Gradebook from other tools, such as Assignments or Tests & Quizzes, are managed within their respective tools. You do not need to enter or edit them via the Gradebook.
Gradebook displays a list of all the students enrolled and active in your site. You may also filter the Gradebook to view students by the following:
- Sections/Groups - Select the desired section or group from the drop-down menu.
- Filter students - Type all or part of a student's name to filter the results.
You will see a spreadsheet view of all the existing Gradebook items in your course.
Select the appropriate cell to enter a grade. Double-clicking will cause the cell contents to show a score entry field out of the total number of points for that item. You may click out of the cell, select the Enter key, or use the up or down arrows to navigate to different cells. Gradebook supports spreadsheet-style data entry, similar to Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
Note: Items with the tool icon in the column header and grayed-out padlock icons in the cells (highlighted in yellow in the image above) are being sent to the Gradebook from other tools. You cannot edit those grades from the Gradebook, although you can view them from here.
If you would like to set a score for all empty cells for a specific Gradebook item, select the down arrow within the column header row (highlighted in yellow for emphasis) and then choose the Set Score for Empty Cells option from the drop-down menu.
- To view the grade log, select the down arrow within the cell for a particular student score.
- Then, choose the Grade Log option from the drop-down menu.
If you would like to enter comments along with the score:
- Select the down arrow within the cell for a particular student score.
- Then, choose the Add/Edit Comment option from the drop-down menu.
- Type your comment in the text box provided.
- Then, select Save Comment.
If you would like to excuse a student's grade for a specific item:
- Select the down arrow for the student's grade cell.
- Then, choose Excuse/Include Grade from the drop-down menu.
The crossed-out calculator icon will appear in the cell, and the score will have a strike-through, indicating that the score is not being calculated in the student's course grade. An item can be added back in the grade calculation by again selecting Excuse/Include Grade from the cell's drop-down menu.