Go to Chat Room.
In the target Sakai site, select the Chat Room tool from the Tool Menu.
Reading Chat Room messages
When you select Chat Room, you will enter the default room.
- To change rooms, select Options from the actions menu; then, select the room you'd like to enter.
- To see who is presently in the room, look under "Users in Chat" on the right side of the screen.
- Messages appear in chronological order, with the most recent at the bottom. Messages will always identify the sender. You will also see the user's profile picture or initials next to the name.
- To hide or display the date or time messages were posted, select the appropriate option from the "View" drop-down list: Time Only, Date and Time, Date Only, Neither Date nor Time, or ID Only.
- To change how many messages you see, from the second drop-down list, select one of the following options: Last 100 messages, Last 10 messages, Past 3 days, or Show no message history. (If you choose Show no message history, you will see only messages posted after you made this selection.)
Posting Chat Room messages
- In the text box at the bottom of the window, type your message.
- Then select Add message.
Note: No one can see your message until you select Add message, but once you do, only an instructor or a participant with special permission can delete your message.
To discard a message that you haven't sent yet, click Clear.
Deleting Chat Room messages
To delete a Chat Room message, select the trash can icon (Delete this Message) next to the posting.
Note: If you don't see a trash can icon, you don't have permission to delete the message.
You will be prompted to confirm the deletion. If you are sure you want to delete the message, select the Delete button to confirm.
Tip: To permanently delete all messages from a chat room, select Options, and then select Clear History. Select Delete to confirm.