What is Gradebook?
Gradebook is a core tool for instructors to calculate and store grade information and distribute it to students online. It has been designed based on the same back-end as the Gradebook Classic tool, but with a number of new features and enhancements.
The following provides a high-level overview of the functional requirements guiding the development of the enhanced Gradebook.
- Editable Spreadsheet View: The default “Grades” view within the gradebook will be replaced by an editable spreadsheet view, wherein gradebook items will be displayed as a series of columns. The layout and data-entry process will be familiar to users of modern spreadsheet applications such as Excel and Google Sheets. Gradebook actions will be available within the context of dropdowns in spreadsheet cells and columns. Modal windows (lightboxes) will be used for entering and editing information, thereby maintaining a sense of continuity and place for users.
- Automatic Saving/Data Validation: Changes to data within the spreadsheet view will be automatically saved, with clear feedback confirming to users that their data has been saved. The interface will also provide data validation feedback.
- New Course Grade Display Options: Course grades will benefit from additional display options. Instructors will have the option of displaying course grades to students as letter grades, percentages, points, or combinations thereof.
- Student Summary View: Within the spreadsheet view, instructors will be able to view a gradebook item summary for each student. This view will display grade information solely for the selected student, providing an overview of the student’s grades in a vertical orientation whilst obscuring the grade data of other students.
- Enhanced Import/Export Process: The existing Import/Export process will be simplified and consolidated into one page. The improved workflow will allow instructors to update existing gradebook items/comments and add new gradebook items in bulk. Users will also be able to export the gradebook as they can today.
In Gradebook, Students can view their scores for all items; view their course grades, once an instructor releases them; and sort their items by title, due date, grade, and weight, where applicable.
Gradebook is section aware, so teaching assistants can see grades only for students in their assigned sections.
Using Gradebook, instructors can:
- Auto-calculate course grades, with the ability to override any course grade.
- Define course letter grades based on a 100% scale.
- Choose between point- or percentage-based grading.
- Add gradebook items for manually graded or offline activities.
- Create categories to organize items and allow for weighting of grades.
- Enter, view, edit, and release to students scores, grades, and comments.
- Collect and display scores from tools such as Tests & Quizzes, Assignments, and Forums.
- Export scores and grades to Microsoft Excel (in XLS format).
- Import item scores from spreadsheet (CSV) files.
- Export a printer-friendly (PDF) version of student grades.
- Drop grades or keep the highest grades in a category.
- Specify items or categories as extra credit.